Bowel Cancer – Colon Cancer
About Bowel Cancer
Learn about who gets bowel cancer, where it starts and exactly how common it really is.
Bowel cancer means cancer that starts in the colon (large bowel) or back passage (rectum). It’s also referred to as colorectal cancer.
Cancer of the Colon
The colon is the first part from the large bowel. It’s about 5 feet long and possesses 4 sections. Cancer can be cultivated in all of these.
The various of the colon will be the:
- Ascending colon %u2013 runs in the right side with the abdomen. It is coupled to the small intestine by a portion of bowel called the caecum
- Transverse colon %u2013 runs across against directly to left, under the stomach
- Descending colon %u2013 runs along the left side with the abdomen
- Sigmoid colon %u2013 an ‘S’ shaped bend that joins the descending colon for the back passage
Who gets it
Men and women could possibly get bowel cancer. So many people are aged 50 or over when they are diagnosed.
The risk of developing bowel cancer is dependent upon many factors, including:
- genetics and family history
- medical ailments like familial adenomatous polyposis (FAP), Lynch syndrome, ulcerative colitis and Crohn%u2019s disease
- lifestyle factors